Halitosis, is a problem that nobody would ever want to have. Although most of the people get bad breath from time to time, there are cases when it takes on a more serious turn especially when it is caused by a medical condition. Having bad breath is an embarrassing problem and to be able to know what treatments should be done, one must know the reasons why they occur. Here are the most reasons why people have foul-smelling breath.
- Morning breath can be offensive. This is because of the decreased flow of saliva when you are asleep. Since your salivary glands produce less saliva which is an essential tool in flushing food particles and plaque, you get bad breath.
- Your diet can be a major cause as well. Foods such as garlic, onions, fish, coffee, and some spices such as curry can contribute to bad breath.
- Aside from being generally bad for your health, smoking can also cause your mouth to stink. It also adds up to other dental problems because it stains the teeth and aggravate tooth decay.
- Dry mouth means there is less saliva in your mouth. Make sure that you keep you and your mouth hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Bits of food stuck in between the teeth can also lead to bad breath.
- Dentures and braces can result to having faul breath mainly because there is a high possibility that they are not cleaned thoroughly, leaving food particles in it.
- Gum disease or periodontal infection can also be the culprit.
- Throat infections such as tonsillitis and pharyngitis
- Gastroesophageal reflux or GERD
- Other diseases such as diabetes, chronic bronchitis, and liver and kidney illnesses
There are preventive measures and halitosis treatments that people can do. More often than not, unclean mouth and teeth are the main reasons why this happens. It is important that you observe good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth at least twice a day. You have to know the proper technique to ensure that you are effectively cleaning it. Remember to floss in between the teeth so that plaque and small food particles are removed. Clean your tongue using a tongue cleaner because plaque build-up on the tongue can greatly affect the scent of your breath.
You can also try using home-made remedies such as gargling with apple cider vinegar once a day instead of using a mouthwash. You can chew on parsley or drink green tea which has natural properties that prevents bad breath for an instant fresh breath fix. Include fruits high in vitamin C in your diet such as berries and oranges. When all else fails, it would be best to consult your doctor just in case a more serious medical condition is behind it.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7258472